Perfume: How To Choose
Want to gift a fragrance but no idea where to start?
We're here to help! Learn how to easily choose the perfect scent, every time.
Use our women's perfume gift guide if you want to shop fragrance but don't know where to start!
Click any image to shop that fragrance.
- The easiest fragrance to find!
- If she loves the smell of roses, freesias, daisies - in fact any flowers, then a floral perfume is the one to choose.
- There are so many options to choose from here, but let's play it safe and choose scents that will appeal to most.
We adore Ghost The Fragrance - in a bottle shaped like the female form, it's a soft, floral fragrance that any woman will adore. It's also very affordable.
Possibly the most famous floral perfume, Jimmy Choo Eau de Toilette (be sure to choose the EDT - the EDP is a different scent) is a massive seller.
With a bottle inspired by Murano glass and created by Jimmy Choo founder Tamara Mellon, it's glam, glam glam! We've linked to the 100ml but there are even more savings to be had in smaller sizes, notably the 40ml which makes a fabulous stocking filler.
- Does she prefer heavier scents? Musky cinnamon, spicy fragrance, warm and sugary scents with vanilla?
- If the answer is yes, then oriental scents are the ones to choose.
- A word of warning: unless you're really sure these are for her, then choose another group. They'll really be too heavy for anyone not into oriental fragrance.
The bestseller in the oriental perfume group is Calvin Klein Euphoria Eau de Parfum.
For something a little different, Laura Biagiotti's Roma is a very affordable treat.
A blend of crisp and fruity resins and evening flowers with base notes of vanilla and musk.
- If she loves a scent with mossy, earthy notes, then a woody fragrance is the one to choose.
- Think cedarwood, sandalwood and vetiver.
Chopard's The Wish is an immensely popular scent - an elegant, refreshing, woody fragrance containing a blend of woodsy and spicy florals, with notes of patchouli, incense, sandalwood and amber.
Thierry Mugler's Alien is a modern woody scent.
Jasmine Sambac and a hint of orange blossom combine to give a unique fragrance that's often described as "sexy, sensual and uplifting"!
- Does she love the scent of grass and herbs (think lavender, rosemary, basil and sage)?
- Then aromatic fragrance is a great one to choose.
We love Penhaligon's Lavandula Eau de Parfum.
For a more affordable option, Burberry Brit Rhythm has top notes of English lavender, with pink pepper, orange blossom and cedar.
- Does she love the clean, zesty scent of lemon, orange and mandarin?
- Or maybe she's not a fragrance fan at all?! Then citrus scents are a great choice!
- Universally popular, they're fresh and subtle.
Davidoff Cool Water Woman is a very clean fragrance suitable for all, and at very affordable prices.
Notes of citrus and pineapple blend with the scent of fresh, ocean air.
- Does she love the scent of apples, peaches, blackcurrants - in fact, any fruit?
- Then a fruity fragrance is for her.
We adore Guerlain's La Petite Robe Noire (if in doubt, choose the eau de toilette).
We don't think any woman would be sorry to receive this beauty!
With a fruity, blackcurrant scent, this is sophistication in a bottle: