Bread Crumb Link

Shop categories

Frequently Asked Questions
 Q: What is the minimum size fireplace opening I need to fit a stove ?
  A: You need a minimum of 6inch air gap from the body to either side and behind from non combustible walling and 12inches of hearth in front and above. If the stove is pictured with an ashplate, knock off approx 3" from the depth to give idea of body depth (unless it's a Franklin). If required, the flue pipe can run up behind the stove in the airgap.
 Q: Can I install a stove myself ?
  A: Legally, for all installations after 1st April 2002 - you require a building control notice from your local council should you wish to fit a stove, flue pipe or make modifications to a fireplace. Alternatively, the work can be carried out in England and Wales by a HETAS registered engineer (
 Q: Does any flue come with the stove or how much is it ?
  A: No flue pipe is included in the price of the stove. Every installation is different. If you want help working out what flue pipe you need, please email or call us. We will need measurements to be able to help. A drawing or photgraph would be good - though not essential
 Q: What is a damper for ?
  A: A damper is a cast iron plate with a spindle that you fit inside your first piece of flue pipe. It works as a butterfly valve The more air that goes in a stove, and the more draw through the flue - the hotter it burns. A damper allows you to reduce the draw through the stove and therefore reduce the heat output down to approx 30%
 Q: Does my chimney need lined ?
  A: Not nesssecarily. If your chimney is sound and passes a smoke test - and the house is early 1970's or older, there is no legal requirement to line your chimney.
 Q: What if I don't follow the regulations for fitting ?
  A: Of course, we realise the fact that a lot of people do not give a stuff about regulations and will fit themselves without a building control notice anyway. We are in no way responsible for making sure you get a building control notice or have your stove fitted by a HETAS registered engineer. Failure to do so however, may have serious insurance